This was something that I just threw together one day to hold extra shoes… you know what I’m talking about right? Well it wasn’t meant to be seen or pretty but functional. It was for a while but then I decided that I needed some sort of bench for the mud room, to use while putting on work boots and to also function as a place to put those boots. So I just put it next to the door and turned it on its side. I lived with it that way for a while, it was functional and did the job but every time I walked by I would think…..I’ve got to do something about that, it is just ugly, then I would walk on and get busy with something else.
This past weekend I decided I was tired of looking at it and did something about it.
At first I thought I would just paint it and call it good, but wait….. why not build another one?? I began to look around through all of my curb finds, all the different pieces of wood and trashy cast offs started coming together…. a little bit of this and that.
I pulled out the end of a baby bed that was found on a curb several months back, I was planning on turning it into some sort of chalk board but I thought this would be a better fit for this. I ended up cutting off each side by about a half-inch to make it fit perfectly as the bench back. After I attached it to the bench I felt like it needed a little something so it didn’t look like a baby bed sitting behind a bench.
I ended up using some trim that I had and added it so that it gave it a bead board look. I knew that I wanted feet on my bench so I found in my stash two bed posts, also found on a curb and cut each one in half to give me 4 feet.
I wanted to have some hooks that would hold a jacket or hat but didn’t want anything that would poke an eye out. Again, off to search the stash… ( I never pass up hooks while I’m out thrifting so I knew I had a few to decide from. Earlier this month I had found these…. . They were originally 5.98 for the pair but I got them on a 1/2 off day…. $3.00! Yay 🙂
I painted it with my homemade chalk paint and then wiped on minwax stain and sealer in a shade that I made by mixing two colors together… I don’t remember what the colors were… :/, when that was almost dry I wiped on some burnt umber acrylic paint in a distressing manner. I finished it off with various rulers that I had been collecting. Perfectly imperfect!
I now have a bench in the mud room that cost me 3 bucks and about 5 hours time. I love it…. it’s one of those things that makes me smile :). It was so good to actually build something again. When I’m building, it makes me feel close to my dad. This is daddy while he was making my youngest son’s cradle. I know that if he were in this world we would enjoy hours and hours building things together. In my heaven…..we will have a very cool shop! 🙂
Read more at http://diyshowoff.com/buttons/#rotGROd4S02YcVz0.99